Release Date : 26-Oct-2009
( UMC – Uni/Island )
Remember how we started…
“I still really like the record – we weren’t making it for any other reason than to make a record and it re-introduced real music to a lot of people again in the way it was made. We were coming out of the technology of the ’80s, with those sterile recording methods, and it became about musicians playing live again and enjoying the experience.”
Paul Weller – 2009
• This stunning 2-disc ‘deluxe’ edition of Paul Weller’s first solo album, originally released in 1992, follows the overwhelming success of the last few solo catalogue reissue projects – Stanley Road (Deluxe), Wild Wood (Deluxe) & Paul Weller At The BBC.
• Having split the Style Council and left his record label – Polydor, Paul was at something of a crossroads. He formed the Paul Weller Movement and started playing live shows again, initially to small crowds. He released the first solo single – Into Tomorrow (included here in its original version, demo b-side and previously un-released ‘acoustic’ version) in 1990, on his own Freedom High label. Its modest (by his standards) top-40 chart placing secured a deal with new label – Go! Discs, who released the album in 1992.
• Paul re-established his soul and r’n’b roots and influences with the new material, as well as his love of Curtis Mayfield, Donald Byrd, Traffic, Funkadelic, Blue Note jazz records and new groups – Gang Starr and A Tribe Called Quest. There was also a more experimental side with tracks like Kosmos and a nod to the Acid Jazz and Talkin’ Loud labels’ scene.
• The project has been personally overseen by Paul Weller and producer Brendan Lynch with unparalleled access to their archives.
• Digitally remastered – the original album features the classic hit singles Into Tomorrow, Uh Huh Oh Yeh & Above The Clouds.
• Packed with extras – 25 bonus tracks, demos, b-sides, mixes, alternative versions and unreleased songs.
• Amongst the unreleased highlights are a demo of new song – The Bitter Truth, a stunning acoustic take on Abraham, Martin & John alternative versions of Round and Round, Kosmos, New Thing, Bitterness Rising and others.
• The 28-page booklet features extensive new sleevenotes including brand new interviews with Paul, Brendan, Steve White and others. Also includes rare period photos and archive memorabilia.
Confirmed Track List:
1. Uh Huh Oh Yeh! (Always There To Fool You!)
2. I Didn’t Mean To Hurt You
4. Round & Round
5. Remember How We Started
6. Above The Clouds
8. Into Tomorrow
9. Amongst Butterflies / Arrival Time
10. The Strange Museum
11. Bitterness Rising
13. Here’s A New Thing
14. That Spiritual Feeling
15. Into Tomorrow
16. Arrival Time
17. Fly On The Wall
18. Always There To Fool You
19. Everything Has A Price To Pay
1. All Year Round (Live – The Ritz -NYC)
2. Feeling Alright
3. Hot Rod (Bath Demo) (unreleased)
4. I Didn’t Mean To Hurt You
5. Bull Rush
6. Round & Round
7. Remember How We Started
9. Into Tomorrow
11. Bitterness Rising (Alternative Version)
13. New Thing (Alternative Version)
14. Fly On The Wall
15. The Bitter Truth (unreleased)
16. Amongst Butterflies
17. Abraham, Martin & John (unreleased acoustic demo)
18. Kosmos (Lynch Mob Bonus Beats Full Version)